Eliminates intraoral pathogens
Oxidising mouthwash containing Hypochlorous Acid.
Kills 99.9999% of harmful organisms before, during & after treatment.
Potent biocidal action minimises the risk of aerosol generating procedures.
Tested to stringent European standards including BS EN 14476.
Non-toxic, biocompatible, no acrid taste or odour
OraWize+ is a non-irritating, non-sensitising mouthwash that protects against infection without exposing patients and staff to the risks associated with Sodium Hypochlorite, Chlorhexidine, EDTA or Hydrogen Peroxide based products. The active ingredient in OraWize+ is Hypochlorous acid (HOCI), a naturally occurring powerful biocide.
(Available in 250ml, 1L & 5L bottles)
- Powerful oxidising action physically destroys ‘hard to kill’ infectious organisms.
- As efficacious as Sodium Hypochlorite at destroying oral microbes.
- Neutralises and kills oral bacteria before, during and after treatment.
- Approved for use as a biocidal mouthwash.
- Meets stringent European standards for killing harmful organisms, including BS EN 14476.
- Does not irritate the mucus lining
- Not a respiratory irritant.
- Tooth safe – neutral pH.
- Does not stain teeth
- Harmless to oral tissues and surrounding structures such as eyes, throat, soft tissues and periodontal tissue.
- Effective when used before, during and after dental treatment
- No pre-mixing required.
- Can be used as a mouthwash or irrigant.
- No need to change your technique.
- Compliments your existing dental equipment and materials.
- Can be given to patients after treatment with minimal toxic risk.
“We welcome the development of products that can be used to reduce viral load. As an adjunct to appropriate PPE, they can offer additional protection to colleagues treating patients during the pandemic.”
The OraWize+ difference
|Antibacterial||Can trigger an allergic reaction||Unpleasant taste||Irritant|
OraWize+ is specially formulated to avoid the dangers inherent in many regular mouthwashes— including the immediate effects of chemical burns and the long-term toxic risks to mammalian cells such as mutagenicity, cytotoxicity and reproductive toxicity in humans.
The active ingredient, Hypochlorous acid (HOCl), is part of a group of small molecules known as reactive oxygen species (ROS); and is the same chemical produced by the human immune defence system to kill bacteria and viruses whilst fighting infection.
Our unique manufacturing process stabilises HOCl to produce an effective intraoral mouthwash that is non-sensitising, non-irritating and not harmful to biological tissue.
See how the human immune defence system produces HOCI to kill invasive organisms:
Bacteria enter the body when the skin is broken, stimulating a response from the human immune defence system.
A type of white blood cell called Neutrophils migrates to the bacteria in a process called ‘chemotaxis’.
Neutrophils surround the bacteria and release Hypochlorous acid (HOCI) to kill it.
How is OraWize+ more effective than conventional mouthwash
Effectively removes debris
Boosts performance to flush out debris.
No acrid taste or odour
Provides a better patient experience with none of the unpleasantness associated with solutions containing bleach, EDTA or Chlorhexidine.
Easier to manage
Staff training is more straightforward with OraWize+’s premixed non-toxic solution. No need to mix hazardous chemicals or deal with complicated dilutions.
Protect your business
Protect your business from litigious claims by patients or staff relating to accidental chemical burns, including toxic damage to eyes, nose, throat or skin.
Long-term benefits for your practice
With no short or long term health impacts when used as recommended, clinical outcomes will always be more positive when using OraWize+.
What is Hypochlorous acid (HOCl)
Hypochlorous acid (HOCl) is part of a group of small molecules known as reactive oxygen species (ROS). HOCI is synthesized by neutrophils (white blood cells) during phagocytosis of antigens (1).
The molecule kills and inhibits the growth of a broad range of microbes including Gram-positive and Gram-negative microorganisms, aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, virus, yeast mould and fungus — all without causing harmful side effects such as irritation of the mucosa or pigmentation on tooth surfaces or restorations.
HOCl also has essential anti-inflammatory benefits (2, 3, 4).
- Green JN, Kettle AJ, Winterbourn CC. Protein chlorination in neutrophil phagosomes and correlation with bacterial killing. Free Radic Biol Med 2014;77:49-56.
- Wang L, Bassiri M, Najafi R, Najafi K, Yang J, Khosrovi B, et al . . . Hypochlorous acid as a potential wound care agent: Part I. Stabilized hypochlorous acid: a component of the inorganic armamentarium of innate immunity. J Burns Wounds 2007;11;6:e5.
- Fu X, Kassim SY, Parks WC, Heinecke JW. Hypochlorous acid generated by myeloperoxidase modifies adjacent tryptophan and glycine residues in the catalytic domain of matrix metalloproteinase-7 (matrilysin): an oxidative mechanism for restraining proteolytic activity during inflammation. J Biol Chem 2003;278:28403-28409.
- Kim C, Cha YN. Taurine chloramine produced from taurine under inflammation provides anti-inflammatory and cytoprotective effects. Amino Acids 2014;46:89-100
What is stabilised HOCI?
Naturally occurring HOCI turns into a saline solution within 24 hours but OraWize+ has a 12-month shelf life thanks to the unique design of our electrochemical cell and manufacturing process.
How does HOCI work?
The power of a neutral electrical charge
HOCl has a neutral electrical change. Bacteria that normally repel chemicals with a positive or negative charge have no defence against leathally effective HOCl. The bacteria cell walls are quickly penetrated rendering the cells defenseless to HOCl’s oxidising properties.
HOCl is a natural oxidising agent
Once HOCl breaches the bacteria cell wall, it’s natural oxidising agent disrupts the microbial cell’s DNA causing the bacteria to die.
Residual HOCl prevents bacteria reforming and effectively dissipates biofilm.
Why is OraWize+ dental mouthwash so safe for humans?
OraWize+ is biocompatible
Hypochlorous, the active ingredient in OraWize+ is found in the body’s immune defence system and is not harmful to human tissue.
No short term health risks
OraWize+ is not harmful if it comes into contact with skin, the eyes, or even if accidentally ingested.
No long term health risks
OraWize+ is non-cytotoxic and non-mutagenic. There is no risk of long term damage to cells, DNA or adverse effects on the reproductive system.
Keeps staff and patients safe
OraWize+ removes the hazards associated with conventional highly toxic products including
- danger to mammalian cells;
- secure storage requirements;
- the need for careful handling procedures;
- dealing with complicated dilution formulas and 2-part processes; and
- staff training in hazardous chemical use.
- File Holder for the active ingredient (“Active chlorine generated from sodium chloride by electrolysis”) on ECHA’s Article 95 list of the Biocide Product Regulations (BPR)
- ISO16954 – Evaluating treatment methods intended to prevent or remove biofilm in dental unit procedural water delivery systems.
- BS EN 1040 – Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of the basic bactericidal activity of chemical disinfectants/antiseptics. For chemical disinfectants and antiseptics.
- BS EN 1276 – Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of the bactericidal activity of chemical disinfectants and antiseptics used in food, industrial, domestic and institutional areas.
- BS EN 13697 – Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics. Quantitative non-porous surface test for the evaluation of bactericidal and/or fungicidal activity of chemical disinfectants used in food, industrial, domestic and institutional areas
- BS EN 13704 – Chemical disinfectants. Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of the sporicidal activity of chemical disinfectants used in food, industrial, domestic and institutional areas
- BS EN 13727 – Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics. Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of bactericidal activity in the medical area
- BS EN 14204 – Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics. Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of the mycobactericidal activity of chemical disinfectants and antiseptics used in the veterinary area
- BS EN 14348 – Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics. Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of the mycobactericidal activity of chemical disinfectants in the medical area including instrument disinfectants
- BS EN 14476 – Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics. Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of virucidal activity in the medical area
- BS EN 14561 – Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics. Quantitative carrier test for the evaluation of bactericidal activity for instruments used in the medical area.
- BS EN 14562 – Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics. Quantitative carrier test for the evaluation of fungicidal or yeasticidal activity for instruments used in the medical area
Biofilms are potentially dangerous to human health
See how biofilms grow — watch the video.